Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Guest Post: How He Loves

I've heard it said before that much, if not all, of our empty striving in this life comes from our failure to grasp the love of God. If we understood how much He loves us, wouldn't we be less prone to wander? Would be less prone to seek fulfillment and pleasure in things that are outside of His will or that don't glorify His name? I'm sure that even for the most committed of believers, there are areas of struggle where we believe that without x, we can't fully surrender ourselves to His love and care because we fear/believe that we wouldn't be complete.

Tonight I'm reminded of the deep, deep, satisfying love of Christ as I consider the lyrics of the worship song, "Sing My Love." This song was surely written as someone realized that we have only one perfect lover. The only One who gives us everything we need. Again, if we grasped this love, might we finally be able to be still and allow ourselves to receive the perfect peace and trust that are ours because of Christ's redemptive work on our behalf?

Paul certainly wanted the saints to grasp God's love.  In Ephesians 3:18-19 he wrote, "And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." (emphasis mine)  Paul tells us outright what will make us complete and give us a satisfying life: experiencing God's love through Christ! We are loved so deeply that we can't comprehend it, yet the power of that love is available to fulfill us and give us everything we could possibly need. 

I have no long or deep message to share. I only want to invite everyone to consider and meditate on the love of Christ. The lyrics below paint a moving picture of this love. Whether we are married, single, widowed, divorced, at the height of our career, unemployed, bankrupt, or living in plenty--there is an unparalleled love that our hearts and flesh are begging to know more and more of. May the Holy Spirit continually redirect our minds and hearts which are so prone to wander, that we might drink only of the Living Water and be satisfied.


"Sing My Love" by Kim Walker/Jesus Culture

Words could never say the way He says my name  
He calls me lovely  
No one ever sees the way He looks at me
He sees me holy  
Words could never hold this love that burns my soul 
Heaven holds me, oh heaven holds me
 

I can't hold my love back from You 
I can't hold my love back from You
I've gotta sing, I've gotta sing, sing my love
 

You would not believe the way He touches me He burns right through me 
And I could not forget every word He said He always knew me 
The earth could never hold this love that burns my soul 
Heaven holds me 
Oh heaven holds me

Praise the Lord
Praise the Lord
My soul makes
Makes its boast
In the Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment